Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1774. Rev. Henry Williams was installed pastor here in 1784. He died in 1811,
and was succeeded by Rev. Joel Wright, in 1812, who continued pastor till 1820; Rev. Joseph Sawyer, the next minister,
was settled in 1822. The next was Rev. Jonas Colburn. who was settled in 1824; and was succeeded, in 1832, by Rev.
This is principally an agricultural town. In 1837, there were two scythe factories, which manufactured 2,400 scythes,
valued at $1,600. Palm-leaf hats manufactured, 30,400; the value of which was $4,590. There are two Congregational
churches, one in the north, the other in the south part of the town; there are two postoffices. Population, 902.
Distance, 3 miles E. from Sunderland, 10 from Greenfield, and 85 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.