Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1781. It is mostly a farming town, composed of scattered plantations, there being
no considerable village in the town. The surface is uneven, but not much broken or precipitous. There are two houses
of worship in the central part of the town, one a Congregational, the other a Bap.. tist church. Rev. Joseph Kilburn,
a Congregational minister, was settled here in 1783; he died in 1815, and his successors have been Rev. Hervey
Wilbur, Rev. John. B. Duncklee, and Rev. William Claggett.
Miller river, which forms the northern boundary of the town, is here a fine stream, and adds much to the beauty
and fertility of this part of the township. Population, 847. Distance, 14 miles from Greenfield, and 80 from Boston.
In 1837, there were 37,000 palm-leaf hats manufactured here, valued at $5,000;. the value of boots and shoes manufactured
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.