Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THE territory comprising this town was a part of the original grant of Hadley, from which it was separated,
with Hatfield, in 1761, with which town it remained one hundred years, till its incorporation in 1771. The Rev.
Rufus Wells, the first Congregational minister, was ordained here in 1771; he died in 1834, at the age of ninety.
Rev. Lemuel P. Bates, a native of Blandford, Scotland, was settled as colleague with Mr. Wells in 1822; he resigned
in. 1832, and was succeeded by Rev. John Ferguson in 1836. There is a small Baptist church in the western part
of the town.
There is a considerable quantity of interval land on Connecticut river, but it is not of the first quality. The
town Street, which passes by the Congregational church, runs parallel with the river about two miles westward;
between this street and the river there is an extensive tract of swampy land, called Whately Swamp, extending from
north to south almost the entire length of the town. Westward of the street above mentioned, the township is hilly,
and the soil in many places rich and fertile. In 1837, there were 3 woollen mills, which consumed 52,500 lbs. of
wool, employing 36 hands, 13 males, 23 females; 57,000 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $37,000. The
value of palm-leaf hats manufactured was $7,500; value of gimblets manufactured, $11,125; value of brooms and brushes
manufactured, $6,877; value of pocket-books and wallets, $16,000; value of stone ware, $3,000. Population, 1,140.
Distance, 11 miles south of Greenfield, 9 from Northampton, and 92 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.