Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1741. The inhabitants to a great extent are descended from a company of emigrants,
of the Presbyterian denomination, from the north of Ireland, by whom this town was originally settled. The Rev.
Mr. McClenathan appears to have been the first minister; it is supposed that he was from Ireland. Joseph Patrick
and James Morton appear to have been the next in order, Joseph Badger and Jonathan Keep the next. Mr. Badger was
for three years a soldier in the revolutionary war. Rev. Dorus Clark was settled here in 1823, he resigned in 1835;
he was succeeded by Rev. Charles J. Hinsdale, in 1836.
This township is situated principally upon the eastern side of a range of the Green mountains. In this town commences
the ridge of rocky hills which extend to Pittsfield, in Berkshire county. In 1837, there were in this town 1 woollen
mill, with 2 sets of machinery; 13,000 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $18,000; 1 paper mill, which
manufactured 60 tons of paper, valued at $2,500. There were 1,535 cows; cheese manufactured, 230,000 lbs.; butter,
20,000 lbs.; value of cheese. $16,100; butter, $3,000; males employed, 200: females, 300; capital invested, $60,000.
Population, 1,443. Distance, 13 miles from Springfield, and 116 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.