Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was formerly a part of Brimfield. It was incorporated as a town in 1796. The Rev. Ezra Reeve, the
first Congregational minister, was settled here in 1765. He died in 1818, at the age of 85. The next minister settled
here was Rev. Enoch Burt. James Sandford, who succeeded Mr. Burt, was installed here in 1831. Besides the Congregational,
there is a Baptist church in the place. In 1837 there was one cotton mill, having 1,024 spindles; it consumed 20,902
lbs. of cotton; 104,512 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $10,451 20; males employed, 12; females, 17;
capital invested, $15,000. Population, 495. Distance, 20 miles from Springfield, and 70 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.