Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1780. A Congregational church was organized here in 1797; it consisted at the
time it was organized of five male members. Rev. Seth Noble, the first pastor, was settled here in 1801, and resigned
in 1806. He died in the state of Ohio, a few years since, whither he had removed. His successor in the ministry
was Rev. John H. Fowler, who was ordained in 1822; he died in 1829, aged 58. The next pastor was Rev. Solomon Edson,
who was settled in 1832, and resigned in 1836. Rev. Caleb Knight, the next pastor, was installed the same year.
This is a small agricultural town. Population, 497. Distance, 12 miles from Springfield, 12 from Northampton, and
100 from Boston. In 1837, there were 1,189 merino and 279 other kinds of sheep; the average weight of their fleece
was two and three fourths pounds; value of wool produced, $2,220 35.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.