Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1792. It was formerly a part of Westfield, and was called the New addition. The
first settlers in this town were two brothers by the name of Barber, and a Mr. Grey. They lived upon the road leading
from Westfield to Blandford, by Sackett’s, and up the mountain, then called Glasgow mountain. A Congregational
church was organized here in 1800, by Rev. Joseph Badger. The Congregationalists own a small wellfinished meeting-house
in connection with the Methodists. There is a small cotton mill in this town. Population, 475. Distance, 14 miles
from Springfield and 100 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.