Historical Sketch of Easthampton, MA
Source at bottom of page.

NAVIGATION

Massachusetts
Histories

Historical Sketches
Franklin County
Hampden County
Hampshire County
Middlesex County
Norfolk County
Worcester County

New York
Histories

Maine
Histories

History at
Rays Place

Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
1906
] NEW

Rays
Places

THIS town was originally included in the limits of Northampton. It was incorporated into a district in 1795, by the name of East Hampton, and in 1809 was incorporated into a town. The first minister, Rev. Payson Williston, was settled here in 17S9. and resigned in 1833, and was succeeded the same year by Rev. William Bement. In 1837, there was in this town 1 woollen mill; cloth manufactured, 15,000 yards, valued at $14,000. The value of lasting buttons manufactured in 1837 was $40,000; males employed, 2; females, 125; capital invested, $12,000. Population, 793. Distance, 5 miles from Northampton, and 90 from Boston. On the borders of this town lies Mount Tom, the highest land in the valley of Connecticut, and is the head of a ridge of mountains, to which it gives the name of Mount Tom range, and which extends into the state of Connecticut, on the west bank of the river.

The first settlement in this town was at the foot of Mount Tom, at a place called Paskhomuck; this was about the year 1700. The following account of the attack of the Indians upon the settlement is from Williams’ Historical Discourse respecting Northampton. “On the 13th of May, 1704, old style, the Indians attacked the village of Paskhomuck. The inhabitants had been settled there only two or three years, the town having granted them their home lots in 1699. The Indians had been to Merrimac river, but met with no success; they then directed their course toward Westfield; but Westfield river was so high that they could not pass it. Some of the Indians had been at Northampton, in a friendly manner, the year before, and informed their companions that there was a small village at Paskhomuck, where they might get provisions, for they were almost famished, and intended, as they afterwards declared, to resign themselves up, if they could obtain no food otherwise. In the evening before the 13th of May, the Indians went upon Mount Tom, and observed the situation of the place. As the meadow was then covered with water, they supposed the village might be taken, and that no aid could come seasonably from the town, on account of the intervening flood. The village consisted only of five families: Samuel Janes’, Benoni Jones’, John Searls', Deacon Benjamin Janes’, and Moses Hutchinson’s. A little before day-light, the Indians attacked the village. Benoni Jones’ house, which stood on the lot where Nathaniel Kentfield afterwards lived, was encompassed with pickets. The Inthans procured flax and other combustibles, and set them on fire, which was communicated to the house. A young woman, named Patience Webb, was waked, and, looking out of the window, was shot through the head. The people surrendered, and. all the above families were killed or taken prisoners. Some of the prisoners were afterwards rescued by the people from the town. These, commanded by Capt. Taylor, went round by Pomroy’s meadow, and met the Indians near the mountain, when a skirmish ensued, in which capt. Taylor was killed. Of the five families before mentioned, the Indians killed the following persons: Samuel Jones, and his wife and three children; Benoni Jones and two children, and the young woman before named; John Searls, and three children; Deacon Benjamin Jones, and four children; and Moses Hutchinson, and one child. The wife of Benjamin Janes was taken to the top of Pomroy’s mountain, and was there knocked in the head and scalped. Our people found her in that situation, and, perceiving that she was still alive, brought her home, and she recovered, and lived till she was more than eighty years old. The wife of Moses Hutchinson was taken prisoner, but soon made her escape. John Searls’ wife was also taken, and severely wounded, but was afterwards rescued from the Indians. Benoni Jones’ wife, and Elisha, the son of John Searls, were taken prisoners to Canada. Ten Indians went to the lower farms, where there was then but one house, in which Captain Wright lived, at the place afterwards owned by Mr. Elias Lyman. Captain Wright refused to surrender, and shot one of the Indians, and broke his arm. They then attempted to burn the house, by shooting spiked arrows, dipped in brimstone, upon the roof; but a young man in the house, named Thomas Stebbins, wrapping himself in a feather bed, drew water from the well, and put out the fire.”


FROM:
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
Geographical Descriptions.
By John Warner Barber.
Worcester
Published by Warren Lazell.
1848

Counter

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy