Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town, the smallest in the county of Hampshire, was incorporated in 1781. Rev. Samuel Whitman was installed
pastor in this place in 1788, and continued such till 1818. He was succeeded, in 1821, by Rev. Joel Wright. The
next minister was Rev. Henry B. Holmes, who was settled in 1830; he continued for nearly three years, and was succeeded
by Rev. Stephen Mason, who was installed in 1836.
This township is on elevated land. In the central part of the town there are 2 churches, 1 for Congregationalists
and 1 for Baptists. In 1837, there were in the town 710 Saxony, 2,115 merino, and 223 other kinds of sheep. The
value of wool produced was $4,500. The va’ue of broom-handles manufactured was $3,000; the value of sawed lumber
was $5,000. Population, 560. Distance, 12 miles from Northampton, and 105 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.