Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1754. It was originally settled by a colony from the north of Ireland, and many
of their descendants still remain in the town. Rev. Pelatiah Webster, the first minister, was ordained here in
1749; he resigned in 1755. He was succeeded by Rev. Robert Cutler, who was installed in 1760, and died in 1786,
aged 68. Mr. Cutler was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Blodget, who was settled here in 1786, and died in 1833. Rev.
Joseph H. Patrick was settled here as colleague pastor in 1830.
This township is pleasantly situated on the east and west branches of Swift river, a branch of the Chicopee. In
1837, there was one woollen mill; 3,000 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $3,000. One scythe manufactory;
scythes manufactured, 10,200, valued at $7,000; twelve hands were employed; capital invested, $4,000. There were
30,000 palm-leaf hats manufactured, valued at $4,375. Population, 842. Distance, 17 miles from Northampton, 26
from Worcester, and 75 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.