Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town, which is situated on a range of the Green mountains, was incorporated in 1783. Rev. Jonathan Nash,
the first minister, was settled in 1792, and died in 1834. His successor, Rev. Samuel Parker, was installed pastor
in 1832, and resigned in 1833. He was succeeded by Rev. John H. Bisbee, in 1834. Besides the Congregational, there
is a Baptist church in the central part of the town. A Methodist church is situated in the south-eastern section
of the town.
This town is watered by two branches of Westfield river. The stream called Middle river divides this town from
Worthington. Soap-stone and an extensive bed of serpentine, or rock of various colors, are found in the town. In
1837, there were two woollen mills, 4 sets of woollen machinery; cloth manufactured, 26,000 yards, valued at $54,000;
males employed, 26; females, 24; capi-. tal invested, $36,000. There were 9,724 Saxony sheep; wool produced, 26,741
lbs.; average weight of fleece, two and three fourths lbs.; value of wool, $17,381 65; capital invested, $120,945.
Population, 710. Distance, 24 miles from Northampton, 17 from Pittsfield, and 110 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.