Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1771. The first Congregational minister settled in this place was Rev. Amos Butler,
a native of Hartford, Con.; this was in 1773; he died in 1777, at the age of twenty-nine years. Mr. Butler was
succeeded by Rev. Joseph Strong, in 1781. Mr. Strong died Jan. 1st, 1803, and was succeeded by Rev. Henry Lord
in 1804. His successor was Rev. William Lusk, who was installed here in 1836.
A considerable stream passes through this town, and unites with the Connecticut at Northampton, affording good
water-power for manufacturing purposes. The following is a southern view of the central part of Williamsburg. The
Methodist church recently erected is seen on the left; the Congregational church is seen on the right, southerly
of which is the bridge over the mill stream passing through the village. In the central part of the engraving is
seen in the extreme distance the spire of the old Congregational church, situated about half a mile northward from
the central part of the village. This was built more than fifty years ago. This village is 8 miles from Northampton,
and 103 from Boston. Population. 1,345.
The Williamsburg woollen linen and cotton manufactory was incorporated in 1825, with a capital of $250,000. In
1837, there were 3 woollen mills: 42,150 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $69,235; males employed. 26;
females, 25; capital invested, $33,700; value of flexible and. japan buttons manufactured, $102,500; hands employed.
13 males and 105 females; capital invested, $39,000; value of axes manufactured, $6,106; value of augers, bitts,
and bitt-stocks manufactured, $2,310; value of gimblets, screw-drivers, and punches manufactured, $4,066.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.