Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1768. The Rev. Jonathan Huntington appears to have beeii the first minister in
the place. He died in 1780. aged 48: his successor in the ministry was Rev. Josiah Spaulding, who died in 1803;
the next minister was Rev. Jonathan L. Pomeroy, who died in 1836, aged 67. The next minister was Rev. Henry Adams,
who was settled in 1833.
This township occupies an elevated situation near the center of the Green mountain range, upon its eastern declivity.
The waters in this township are discharged into the Connecticut by the Westfield river, the principal branch of
which washes the south-west boundary of the town, and other branches pass through the middle and north-east parts.
It is one of the best townships of land in this vicinity; the surface is handsome and pleasant, and much of the
soil rich and productive, producing grain, fruits, &c. In 1837, there were in this town 9,050 merino sheep;
wool produced, 27,000 lbs.; average weight of fleece, 3 lbs.; value of wool, $16,875; capital invested, $25,000;
value of curtains manufactured, $10,125; value of leather tanned and curried, $32,000. Population, 1,142. Distance,
17 miles from Northampton, 55 from Albany, N. Y., and 110 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.