Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1767. It is situated at the north western extremity of the county. This township
is on elevated land, varied with hills and valleys, furnishing rich pastures and agreeable prospects. This is an
agricultural town, and the farms are productive. The two churches in the central part of the town stand on high
land, and may be seen from a great distance. Population, 1,201. Distance, 25 miles from Concord, and 42 from Boston.
The manufacture of palm leaf hats is the principal manufacturing business performed in the town. In 1837, there
were 59,989 hats manufactured, the value of which was $7,751 50.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.