Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1783. The tract comprising the township is elevated and hilly. There is no stream
of much importance in the town. The township lies between Concord and Nashua rivers, and at nearly equal distance
from both. The population of this town in 1837 was 433, being smaller than that of any other in Middlesex county.
About one thousand dollars’ worth of straw bonnets and palm leaf hats were manufactured in this place. Limestone
is found in the town, and hops have been cultivated to some extent. Distance, 9 miles from Concord and 25 from
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.