Historical Sketch of Marlborough, MA
Source at bottom of page.

NAVIGATION

Massachusetts
Histories

Historical Sketches
Franklin County
Hampden County
Hampshire County
Middlesex County
Norfolk County
Worcester County

New York
Histories

Maine
Histories

History at
Rays Place

Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
1906
] NEW

Rays
Places

A TRACT of land, six miles square, was granted to a number of petitioners, inhabitants of Sudbury, in 1656: which was incorporated by the name of Marlborough, in May, 1660. The Indian name of this place was Okommakamesit. The last distinguished leader of the tribe, who resided here, was Onomog. By the reason assigned in the petition for the land, it appears that the English settlement was begun about 1654. The infant town was severely checked in its growth by the invasion of the savages. In Mr. Packaed's account of the town (Mass. Hist. Coll., 4th vol.) is stated, that, on the Sabbath, when Mr. Brimsmead was in sermon, March 20, 1676, the worshipping assembly was suddenly dispersed by an outcry of ‘Indians at the door.’ The confusion of the first moment was instantly increased by a fire from the enemy; but the God whom they were worshipping shielded their lives and limbs, excepting the arm of one Moses Newton, who was carrying an elderly and infirm woman to a place of safety. In a few minutes they were sheltered in their fort, with the mutual feelings peculiar to such a scene. Their meeting-house, and many dwelling-houses, left without protection, were burnt. Fruit trees pilled and hacked, and other valuable effects rendered useless, perpetuated the barbarity of the savages, many years after the inhabitants returned. The enemy retired soon after their first onset, aeclining to risk the enterprise and martial prowess of the young plantation. The new settlers, being much debilitated by their various losses, being a frontier town, and still exposed to the 'adjudication' of their savage neighbors, left their farms till the seat of war was further removed."

Marlborough is one of the best agricultural towns in the county. Very little of what is called good land lies level, hut is intersected in various directions by hills, declivities and valleys. The high lands are more moist, and less exposed to drought, than the intervals below them, and often retain their verdure in dry seasons when the valleys are parched. This place is 14 miles south-west of Concord, 16 east of Worcester, and 25 west of Boston. Population, 2,089. There are 4 churches: 1 Restorationist, 1 Orthodox, 1 Universalist, and. 1 Methodist.

The above is a south-eastern view of some of the principal buildings in the central part of Marlborough. The most prominent building seen on the left is the Universalist church; the Congregational church is the one seen in the distance, in the central part of the engraving. The West village is about one mile from this place, and contains a Restorationist church and an academy. Feltonville village, in this town, is about three miles north. In 1837, there were manufactured in this town 103,000 pairs of shoes, valued at $41,200; there were 7,500 straw bonnets manufactured, valued at $10,850.

Mr. William Brimsmead appears to have been the first minister. He was ordained in 1666, and died in 1701. He lived unmarried, and, according to tradition, appears to have been possessed of some singularities, one of which was his refusing to baptize children who were born on the Sabbath. Rev. Robert Breck was ordained here in 1707. He was succeeded by Rev. Benjamin Hunt, who was ordained in 1733, and dismissed in 1735. Rev. Aaron Smith was ordained in 1740. and dismissed in 1778. The next, the Rev. Asa Packard, was ordained in 1785.

The following is copied from a monument in the grave-yard in the central village.
[This part was in Laten and not typed]

In every department of theology he was well versed, and a truly orthodox scribe, thoroughly instructed unto the kingdom of heaven. He peacefully discharged the duties of the pastoral office in the church at Marlborough, over which the Holy Ghost had made him Overseer, with diligence, fidelity, and great success for 27 years. Of Divine Revelation, and of the doctrines, institutions and principles of the Churches of New England, he was an able and strenuous advocate.

In giving counsel, in matters both public and private, he was conspicuous for his integrity and wisdom. He sincerely loved his friends, his country, and the whole church of Christ. He was, in short, an exemplar of piety, of every social virtue, and of moderation in worldly desires. In the severe pangs of his last sickness, he finished his work in patience, and if not in triumph, yet in hope, he peacefully departed.
Born December 7, 1689. Died January 6, 1731.
Even prophets do not live for ever.


FROM:
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
Geographical Descriptions.
By John Warner Barber.
Worcester
Published by Warren Lazell.
1848

Counter