Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1674. It is separated from Dover and Medfield by Charles river. The township is
on an elevated site, with a good soil. In the central part of the town there is a village, having two Congregational
churches, one of which is Unitarian. Population, 1,037. Distance, 15 miles from Concord, 10 from Dedharn, and 18
from Boston. In 1837, there were 40 pairs of boots and 48,000 pairs of shoes manufactured, valued at $40,000; sixty
males and thirty females were employed; 2,000 straw bonnets were manufactured, valued at $4,000. There was an axe,
plough and fork manufactory. The value of whips manufactured was $5,325; capital invested, $1,325; twenty-one hands
were employed, seven of whom were females. Value of muskets manufactured, $1,600.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.