Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1753. This town is well watered, and a large proportion of the township consists
of low lands, and its pastures are not considered so good as those of more hilly towns. In the central part of
the town are two Congregational churches, one of which is Unitarian. The largest village in the town is in the
southern part, near a stream which empties into Nashua river. There is a Universalist church in the village. A
society of Shakers live on the southern borders of the town, and. their lands extend into Lancaster, in Worcester
county. The society consists of from 150 to 200 persons, and are distinguished for their neatness, industry, and
the raising of garden seeds, &c. In 1837, there were 3 cotton mills, 2,568 spindles; 474,364 yards of cotton
goods were manufactured, valued at $52,100; males employed, 19; females, 39; one woollen mill; 20,000 yards of
cloth were manufactured, valued at $12,000; two paper mills; 300 tons of stock manufactured: value of paper, $20,000;
twenty hands (10 males, 10 females) employed; 70,000 palm-leaf hats were manufactured, valued at $12,333. Population,
967. Distance, 16 miles from Concord, 18 from Lowell, and 32 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.