Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1725. It is about four miles in length, and two in breadth. The surface of the
township is rather rocky and uneven, and a considerable portion of it is wooded. There is a beautiful pond in the
south part of the town, called Spot Pond, filled with pure water. The village. in the center of the town, consists
of about 40 dwelling houses. Distance, 15 miles from Concord, and 10 from Boston. Population, 932. The manufacture
of shoes is the principal business of the town. In 1837, in the Statistical Tables published by the state, it is
stated that in this town were “Shoes manufactured, 380,100 pairs; value of same, $184,717; males employed, 297;
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.