Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1734. The Indian settlement called Wamesit was formerly within the limits of this
town, on the site now occupied by the flourishing village of Belvidere, recently included within the limits of
Lowell. "There were fifteen families of Christian. Indians here in 1674. The Indian title was extinguished
in. 1686; but the settlement of the English was slow, so that more than forty years elapsed from the extinguishment
of the Indian title to its incorporation. The soil here is light and thin; the surface rather level, except the
northern parts of the town, which is somewhat hilly, with a plenty of stones and a better soil." Large quantities
of hops have been raised in this town. By the annexation of Belvidere to Lowell, this town was considerably reduced
in its population and business. The population in 1830 was 1,527; in 1837, it was reduced to 907. Distance, 12
miles from Concord, and. 19 from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.