Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIs town was incorporated in 1732. The land in this township is more level than the towns to the north and
west; most of it is gently undulating, and some of it consists of level pine plains. The soil generally is not
of the first quality; there are, however, some good farms in the town, and the soil is generally good for fruit-trees
of all kinds which are common in this part of the country. In the central part of the town there is a village,
containing two Congregational churches, one of which is Unitarian. Several brooks unite in this town, and form
Squanicook river, which discharges its waters into the Nashua. In the eastern part of the town there is a village
called Townsend Harbor, where there are several mills, stores, &c. Population, 1,749. Distance, 22 miles from
Concord, 8 from Fitchburg, and 38 from Boston, in 1837, there were manufactured here 159,700 palm leaf hats, valued
at $22,750; the value of fish barrels, nail kegs and dry casks manufactured, was $9,357; there were 40,050 hides
tanned and curried, valued at $25,150.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.