Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS was taken from Dunstable, in 1789, and incorporated as the district of Tyngsborough. It was so named in
honor of Madam Sarah Winslow (the daughter of Eleazer Tyng) and her family. On the organization of the district,
Mrs. Winslow agreed to fund a sum of money which should afford the annual income of £80 lawful money, to
be devoted equally to support a Congregational minister and a grammar school. In gratitude for this gift the district
was named Tyngsborough. it was incorporated as a town in 1809. The first minister was Rev. Nathaniel Lawrence,
who was ordained in 1790. This town lies on both sides of the Merrimac, which is here a beautiful stream. Large
quantities of excellent granite have been quarried on the banks of this river, and sent from this place to the
Boston market by the Middlesex canal. This place is 16 miles N. of Concord, 8 N. W. of Lowell, and 29 N. W. of
Boston. Population, 870.
"The name of the first white inhabitant" (says Mr. Lawrence, in his history of Tyngsborough, in the Collections
of the Massachusetts Historical Society, 1815) "was Cromwell, originally from England, but last from Boston.
It is about 150 years since he erected a hut in this place, on the bank of the Merrimac, for the purpose of trading
with the Indians. This, at that time, was the only English settlement on the south to Woburn, and on the north
between there and Canada. Cromwell, for some time, carried on a lucrative trade with the Indians, weighing their
furs with his foot, till, enraged at his supposed or real deception, they formed the resolution to murder him.
This intention was communicated to Cromwell, who buried his wealth and made his escape. Within a few hours after
his flight a party of the Pennacook tribe arrived, and, not finding the object of their resentment, burnt his hut.
Some time after, pewter was found in the well, and an iron pot and trammel in the sand; the latter are preserved.
The present owner of the place was ploughing near the spot, and found his plough moving over a flat stone, which
gave a hollow sound. On removing the earth and stone, he discovered a hole, stoned, about six inches in diameter,
from which he took a sum of money."
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.