Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
WEST CAMBRIDGE was incorporated a town in 1807. It was previously a part of Cambridge, called Menotomy. The
southern part of the town is low, and some of it swampy. The middle is dry and healthy, with good land for culture
and pasturage; the north part of the town IS broken, rocky, and partially covered with wood. This town has a considerable
village, situated principally on a single street, about a mile in length. There are three churches, 1 Congregational,
1 Universalist, and 1 Baptist. Population, 1,308. Distance, 12 miles from Concord, 4 from Lexington, and 6 from
Boston. In 1837, there were 500 pairs of boots and 31,000 pairs of shoes manufactured, valued at $25,500. There
were 2 mills for pulverizing drugs, medicines and dye stuffs; capital invested, $24,000; hands employed, 11; value
of the same manufactured, $200,000. One dying and calico printing manufactory; hands employed, 44; value of manufacture,
$40,000. Value of saws manufactured, $30,000. Value of chairs and cabinet ware manufactured, $10,000. There was
also a card. manufactory and a turning and sawing mill.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.