Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town bore the name of East Sudbury from 1780 untill 1835. It is separated on the west from Sudbury by the
river of that name, a sluggish stream, which annually overflows a large tract of low lands, which produce great
crops of hay without the necessity of cultivation. In February, 1722-3, the church at Sudbury was, by a vote of
the members, divided into two distinct churches. Mr. Cooke was ordained the pastor on the east side of Sudbury
river, in March, 1723; he died in 1760. ifl 1765, the number of houses on the east side was 112; the number of
families, 129; the number of white inhabitants, 698. There are two Congregational churches in this town, one of
which is Unitarian. It is 7 miles south of Concord, 7 north east of Framingham, and 16 west of Boston. Population,
931. In 1837, there were manufactured in this town 230 pairs of boots, and 29,666 pairs of shoes, valued at $22,419.
There were 4 forges, which manufactured 8 tons of bar iron, valued at $2,600.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.