Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was formerly a part of Chelmsford grant; after a long controversy it was incorporated as a distinct
town in 1729. "The church and society was established here in 1724, and the town of Chelmsford paid 100 pounds
towards building a meeting house for this parish, which was then called the west precinct in Chelmsford; they also
received their proportion of the ministerial lands.” This is principally an agricultural township, the soil being
strong and productive, well adapted to grass, grain, and fruit trees. The village in the center of the town contains
two Congregational churches and an academy, one of the oldest in the state, having a respectable fund for the support
of a preceptor. The village is situated on the summit of a large swell, having a fine prospect over the neighboring
valleys and of the distant mountains. Wachusett, Monadnock, and many of less height, are distinctly visible. Population,
1,451. Distance, 10 miles from Concord, 30 from Salem, S from Lowell, 5 to Chelmsford, 6 to Carlisle, and 25 from
Boston. In 1837, there were three forges in this town; 90 tons of bar iron were manufactured, valued. at $9,900.
There are large quantities of granite quarried here, which is commonly called Chelmsford granite.”
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.