Historical Sketch of Weston, MA
Source at bottom of page.

NAVIGATION

Massachusetts
Histories

Historical Sketches
Franklin County
Hampden County
Hampshire County
Middlesex County
Norfolk County
Worcester County

New York
Histories

Maine
Histories

History at
Rays Place

Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
1906
] NEW

Rays
Places

“THE exact period” (says Dr. Kendal in his Century Sermon, preached in 1813) “when what is now called Weston began to be settled is not known; but it must have been pretty early; for there are still standing houses which were erected about one hundred and forty years ago. In ecclesiastical affairs, however, this town was connected with Watertown about sixty eight, and in civil concerns about eighty three years. The tradition is, that the inhabitants of the remote westerly part of this town went to worship at the remme easterly part of Watertown, at a house not far from the old burying place.” Weston was incorporated as a distinct town in 1712, previous to which time it had been called the westerly, more westerly, and most westerly precinct in ‘Watertown. In 1694, the town of Watertown passed the following vote: “Our neighbors, the farmers, being upon endeavours to have a meeting house among themselves, the town consents that t.hey may come as far as Beaver Brook upon the country road leading to Sudbury, and so run north and south upon a line, to the end there may be peace and settlement amongst us.” There appears to have been considerable difficulty in regard to the settlement of a minister among them; a Mr. Mors preached for a time, but was not settled. After having been twice directed to provide a man to preach among them, the precinct, in 1706, was presented at the court of sessions, on account of their not having a settled minister. After a period of more than eleven years after the Farms had become a distinct precinct, Rev. William Williams was ordained here, in 1709. Rev. Samuel Woodward, the successor of Mr. Williams, was ordained in 1751. Mr. Woodward died in 1782, and was succeeded by Rev. Samuel Kendal, D. D., in 1783.

This township is in general an uneven, and in some parts a broken tract of land. A considerable portion is elevated above the common level of the adjacent country. There are three houses of worship in the limits of the town 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Congregationalist. There are a number of beautiful countryseats, where persons from Boston reside during the summer months. Population, 1,051. Distance, 9 miles from Concord, 9 from Dedham, and 14 from Boston. Boots and shoes are the principal articles manufactured in this town. In 1837, of the former there were manufactured 5,606 pairs, and of the latter, 17,182 pairs.


FROM:
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
Geographical Descriptions.
By John Warner Barber.
Worcester
Published by Warren Lazell.
1848

Counter