Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was set off from Dedham, and incorporated as a town in 1719. Rev. Jonathan Mills was ordained in 1727
over a Congregational church which had been previously formed in this place. He continued here about ten years,
through not in the most harmonious manner, and was dismissed in 1737. He retired to Boston, where he died, in 1773.
The people had occasional preaching after the dismissal of Mr. Mills, till 1774. when the meeting house was demolished.
For about the period of sixty years past, no Congregational minister has statedly held meetings in the town. The
Congregational church has long been extinct. Some families of this order, however, are religiously associated with
the west parish in Medway.
In the center of the town there are 2 churches, and 10 or 12 dwelling houses. Distance, 5 miles from Mendon, 18
from Dedham, and 28 from Boston. Population, 1,159. In 1837, there were 2 cotton mills, 1,672 spindles; 427,470
yards of cotton goods were manufactured, valued at $35,110.25; males employed, 20; females, 34: one woollen mill,
2 sets of machinery; 24,000 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $62,000. There were 14,570 pairs of boots
and 220 pairs of shoes manufactured, valued at $28,077; straw bonnets manufactured, 1,450, valued at $2,650.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.