Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
CANTON was originally the south precinct of Dorchester, called Dorchester village it was incorporated in 1797.
The first church was embodied here in the year 1717, and Rev. Joseph Morse was ordained its minister the same year.
He had preached in the village, previous to his ordination, nearly eleven years. He was succeeded by Rev. Samuel
Dunhar, in 1727. Mr. Dunbar was a warm and decided friend to the liberties of his country. In 17557 he was chaplain
to Col. Brown’s regiment, in the expedition against Crown Point. His zeal and firmness in the American Revolution
contributed not a little to support the hopes and sustain the sinking spirits of his people, when clouds and darkness
shrouded our prospects.” He died in 1783, and was succeeded by Rev. Zachariah Howard, who was settled in 1786.
The Rev. William Harlow was installed, over the second church in 1829, resigned the same year.
The following is a westerly view of the viaduct in this town, on which passes the Boston and Providence railroad.
It is constructed of granite, and is 600 feet in length, 63 feet above the foundation, on 6 arches, with a succession
of arches at the top. It is an admirable piece of workmanship, and cost the company about $80,000. On the right
of the engraving is seen the northern extremity of the stone factory, a large establishment for the manufacture
of cassimeres, which, when in full operation, employs between 300 and 400 hands. The copper works of Mr. Revere,
near the above, is an extensive establishment; all kinds of copper are manufactured. There are also other large
manufacturing establishments in the limits of the town. There are 4 churches (2 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and
1 Methodist) and a bank, the "Neponset Bank." Population, 2,185. Since 1830, the population has increased
one third. Distance, 5 miles from Dedham. 18 from Taunton, arid 15 from Boston.
In 1837, there was 1 woollen mill. 14 sets of machinery wool consumed, 300,000 lbs. ; cloth manufactured, 254,000
yards, valued at $250,000; males employed, 125; femails, 125. One cotton mill; 1,560 spindles; 463.547 yards of
cotton goods were manufactured. There were S furnaces for the manufacture of copper; 1,500,000 lbs. of copper were
manufactured; value estimated. $400,000; forty hands were employed: one forge; shapes" manufactured, 129 tons.
value, $21,330; fifty hands were employed in the manufacture of hoes and coarse cutlery; capital invested, $80,000.
Two rolling mills, 1 cotton wicking mill, 1 cotton thread mill, and some other manufacturing establishments, were
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.