Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was originally a part of Hingham; it was incorporated in 1770. The first minister of Cohasset was
Rev. Nehemiah Hobart, the grandson of Rev. Peter Hobart. the first minister of Hingham. He was ordained in 1721,
and continued in the ministry till his death, in 1740. His successor was Rev. John Fowle, who continued here about
thirteen years. Rev. John Brown was the next minister, who was settled here in 1747, and died in 1791. His successor
was. Mr. Shaw, who was in the ministry here about four years. The Rev. Jacob Flint, the next minister, was settled
here in 1798. A Trinitarian church was built here in 1826, and Rev. Aaron Picket was installed the first pastor.
This town is noted for its rocky coasts, and for the numerous shipwrecks which have taken place on its borders.
Cohasset rock, which consists of several small islands and sunken rocks. lies about three miles north east of the
harbor; they have proved fatal to many vessels. This town has become quite a place of resort for citizens and strangers,
in summer months, to enjoy the marine scenery and sea air. In 1837, there were 36 vessels employed in the cod and
mackerel fishery, the tonnage of which was 2,284; codfish caught, 750 quintals, valued at $2,250; mackerel caught,
11,700 barrels, value, $73,286; hands employed, 324. In fi've years preceding 1837, there were 17 vessels built,
the tonnage of which was 2,765, valued at $110,600. Population, 1,331. Distance, 6 miles from Hingham, and about
16 miles to Boston by water.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.