Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
DOVER was originally a part of Dedha,; it was incorporated as a precinct in 1748, and as a town in 1784. The
church was embodied in 1762, and Rev. Benjamin Caryl was its minister the same year. He continued in the pastoral
office 41 years, and was succeeded by Rev. Ralph Sanger, who was settled here in 1812. The surface of this township
is uneven, and a considerable portion of it is covered with wood. Pine Hill, in this town and Medfield, is 400
feet above Charles river. Population, 518. Distance, 5 miles from Dedham, and 14 from Boston. In 1837, there was
a nail factory, which manufactured 300 tons, valued at $36,000; hands employed, 14; capital invested, $30,000.
There is also a rolling mill, which manufactured 500 tons of hoops, rods, &c.; the value of which is $55,000.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.