Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was formerly part of Worcester, Sutton, Leicester, and Oxford, incorporated a town by the name of
Ward in 1778; so named in honor of Arternas Ward, the first major-general in the Revolutionary war, who died at
Shrewshury, Oct. 28, 1800. It received the name of Auburn in 1837. It was made a poll parish in 1773, and in 1776
the church was embodied, and the next year Rev. Isaac Bailey was ordained their pastor.
This town is uneven, but the hills are not very high. The soil is in general fertile, and suited to both grazing
and tillage. The town is, perhaps, as well watered by springs and perennial rivulets as any town in the county.
The principal stream is French river. There are 4 small ponds; the largest is situated about a mile south of the
meeting house. There is an outlet from this pond to the north, usually called Dark Brook, and an inlet at the south,
while the pond is in its natural state; but by an artificial raising of the water about 4 feet, the current in
the inlet is reversed, and the discharge of water is to the south. Two churches, 1 Congregational and. 1 Baptist.
Distance, 5 miles S. by W. of Worcester, and 45 W. S. W. of Boston. Population, 1,183. In 1837, there were in the
town 1 woollen mill, 1 paper-mill, 1 card manufactory, 3 shingle mills, 1 lath mill, and 1 sash and blind factury.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.