Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was the north west part of Rutland original grant. It was made a district in 1749, and called Rutland
District, until it was incorporated a town in 1774; when the name of Barre was given to it, as a token of respect
to Col. Barre, a worthy friend of America, at that time a member of the British house of commons. The Congregational
church was gathered here in 1753, and Rev. Thomas Frink was installed their pastor. He was dismissed in 1766, and
was succeeded the next year by Rev. Josiah Dana. Mr. Dana died in 1801, and was succeeded by Rev. James Thompson
in 1804. A Trinitarian society was formed here in 1827. Their first pastor, Rev. John Storrs, was ordained in 1829.
He was succeeded by Rev. Moses G. Grosvenor in 1832. The succeeding ministers were Rev. John F. Stone, installed
in 1834, and Rev. Samuel A. Fay, in 1837.
The above is a southern view in the central part of Barre, as seen from the Barre Hotel. The Unitarian church appears
in the central part of the engraving; a part of the town-house, recently erected, is seen on the right. Barre is
a large, flourishing, and wellbuilt village. A newspaper is published in the place.
The land in this town is very hilly and uneven, but the soil is excellent, and it may be called one of the best
townships of land in the county. It is watered by Ware river and branches. The product of this town in beef, pork,
butter, and cheese, for the Boston market, is considerable. There are 6 churches, 2 Congregational, 2 Methodist,
1 Baptist, and 1 Universalist. Distance, 21 miles N. by W. of Worcester, and 60 miles westward of Boston. Population,
2,713. In 1837, there was 1 cotton mill, 2,550 spindles; cotton goods manufactured, 720,000 yards; valued at $57,600;
males employed, 55; females, 20; two woollen mills; 35,000 yards of cloth were manufactured, valued at $104,000;
males employed, 40; females, 26; one powder-mill; 100,000 lbs. of powder were manufactured.. There were 607,000
palm-leaf hats manufactured; value, $167,200; there were 5 carriage, 1 copper pump, 3 scythe 1 tin, and 1 axe manufactories.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.