Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was taken chiefly from Bolton, and a small part of it from Marlborough. It was made a parish by the
general court in 1778, and in 1784 was incorporated a district by the name of Berlin. Here a church was formed
in 1779, and in 1781 Rev. Reuben Puffer, D. D., was ordained pastor; he died in 1829, and was succeeded by Rev.
Robert F. Walcut, in 1830. The next pastor, Rev. David Lamson, was settled in 1834. The first minister of the second
church was Rev. Abram C. Baldwin, who was settled in 1830; his successors have been Rev. Michael Burdett and Rev.
Eber S. Clark.
The most valuable uplands in this town lie on several hills, which are excellent for grazing, and a suitable proportion
of it for tillage. The range extends north into Bolton, and south into Northborough. There is one pond in the east
part of the place, called Gates’ Pond, 1 mile in length by half a mile in width, which abounds in fish. No brook
empties into it, but at the south end there is a small outlet. The principal stream is called North Brook, and
fails into the Assabet, at the S. E. corner of the town. There is a large sunken swamp lying mostly in the town,
in some parts of which are large pine and spruce trees. This is entirely an agricultural town. Large quantities
of hops are annually produced here. There are 2 Congregational churches, 1 of which is Unitarian. Distance, 14
miles N. E. of Worcester, and 30 W. by N. of Boston. Population, 724.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.