Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was taken from the old town of Lancaster, and was incorporated in 1738 by the general court, when
it received its present name. It was originally pretty extensive, and contained most of the town of Berlin. The
first church was gathered here in 1741, and Rev. Thomas Goss was ordained their pastor. He remained till his death,
in 1780, and was succeeded by Rev. John Walley, who was dismissed from the society not long before his death, and
was succeeded by Rev. Phineas Wright, ordained in 1785. Rev. Isaac Allen succeeded Mr. Wright, in 1804. Rev. John
W. Chickering, the first minister of the 2d society, was ordained in 1830; he was succeeded by Rev. John S. Davenport,
in 1836. In this town and in Berlin there is a society of Friends, consisting of a large number of wealthy families.
The engraving on the following page is a south-eastern view of the village in the central part of the town.
The township is very good land, and there are many fine farms within its limits. The Bolton ridge of hilLs, known
by the name of Wattoquottock, lies in the west part of the town, and begins about half a mile from the center of
the town. It rises to the height of between 2 and 300 feet above the level of Nashua river, and divides the streams
which flow into the Nashua from those of the Assabet. In the north easterly part of the town is situated the hill
called Rattlesnake hill, which contains a large body of limestone, from which 15 or 20,000 bushels of lime, of
the best quality, are prepared annually for the supply of the neighboring towns. In this town are two or three
small ponds, not meriting a particular description. There are 2 Congregational meeting houses, (one of them Unitarian,)
one Baptist, and a Friends' meeting-house, in the south part of the town, near the line of Berlin. Distance, 16
miles from Worcester, and 31 from Boston. Population, 1,185. In 1837, there were 5 comb manufactories; value of
combs, $21,500; males employed, 20; females, 4. There were 100 pairs of boots, and. 20,700 pairs of shoes, manufactured,
valued at $6,250; males employed, 27; females, 13.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.