Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town originally belonged to Oxford, of which it formed the western part. it was incorporated in 1754. The
lands of this township were at first thought of very little value, being rough and hard of cultivation, and settlement
at first proceeded slowly. However, in 1761 the place was so well settled that a church was organized, and Rev.
Caleb Curtiss ordained pastor. He was dismissed in 1776. After an interval of six years, in 1783, Rev. Archibald
Campbell was installed over the church, and continued pastor till 1793, when he was thsmissed. The following ministers
have been his successors: Erastus Larned, settled in 1796; Edw’d Whipple, 1804; John Wilder, 1827; William H. Whittemore.
1833; and Isaac R. Barbour, settled in 1836.
The above is a north-eastern view of the central part of Charlton, showing the Universalist and Congregationalist
churches, and some other buildings in the vicinity. The village consists of about 15 dwelling houses, on an elevated
situation. Chariton is now a large agricultural town, of a strong soil, well watered by springs and small streams,
which are some of the head waters of the Quinebaug. In this town are 4 churches, 2 Congregational, 1 Universalist,
and 1 Baptist. Distance, 14 miles from Worcester, 42 to Hartford, (Conn.) and 53 south-west of Boston. Population,
2,469. In 1837 there was 1 cotton mill; 656 spindles; cotton thread manufactured, 16,563 pounds; value, $10,000;
males employed, 4; females, 10. There were 15,500 pairs of shoes manufactured; value, $13,700; males employed,
27; females, 18.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.