Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS township was composed of a part of Greenwich, in Hampshire county, of the north part of Hardwick, and the
south-east part of Petersham. It was incorporated a town in 1801, and is one of the smallest towns in territory
and population in the county. A Congregational church was embodied about 1824, but no minister of this denomination
has yet been settled. Ministers of other denominations have occasionally preached in the town. Population, 660.
Distance, 30 miles north west of Worcester, and 90 from Boston. In 1837 there were 70,000 palm leaf hats manufactured
in this town; value, $10,500.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.