Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was taken from Westminster, Templeton, Winchendon, and Ashburnham, a corner from each. It was incorporated
and made a distinct town in 1785, and named Gardner, to perpetuate the memory of Col. Thomas Gardner, of Cambridge,
who fell in the battle of Bunker Hill. The church was gathered here in 1786, and the Rev. John Osgood was ordained
pastor in 1791. He died in 1821, and was the pastor, teacher, and physician for his people nearly 30 years. Rev.
Sumner Lincoln, his successor, was ordained in 1824. Rev. Jonathan Farr was ordained over the Unitarian society
in 1829, and was succeeded by Rev. Curtis Cutler in 1833.
The surface of this towm is uneven, abounding in small hills and valleys, and though the land is somewhat rocky,
it is strong and fertile. It is peculiarly adapted to grass and pasturage, being naturally moist, and abounding
in springs and rivulets. The largest stream is Otter river, which flows into Millerís river in Winchendon. There
are two ponds in this town, which have small streams running from them. Upon the various water courses is considerable
good meadow land. There are 3 churehes, 2 Congregational and 1 Baptist. Population, 1,276. Distance, 20 miles from
Worcester, and 54 from Boston. In 1837, there were 25 manufactories of chairs and cabinet ware; the value of articles
manufactured was $109,064; hands employed, 350. There were 60,450 palm leaf hats manufactured; value, $8,125.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.