Historical Sketch of Leominster, MA
Source at bottom of page.

NAVIGATION

Massachusetts
Histories

Historical Sketches
Franklin County
Hampden County
Hampshire County
Middlesex County
Norfolk County
Worcester County

New York
Histories

Maine
Histories

History at
Rays Place

Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
1906
] NEW

Rays
Places

THIS town was taken from Lancaster, and was part of what was called "Lancaster New Grant.” It was incorporated in 1740.

The church here was embodied in 1743, and Rev. John Rogers was ordained their pastor. On account of difference of opinion between him and his people about some minor doctrjnal points of religion, he was dismissed in 1757. But about one fifth of the society adhering to him, a poll society was made of them by the legislature, with whom he preached till prevented by the infirmities of age; and was dismissed from them in 1788. After the settlement of the controversy with Mr. Rogers, the church and town proceeded to the choice of a minister, and in 1762 Rev. Francis Gardner was settled their second pastor. After the dismission of Mr. Rogers from the “poll society,” that church and society was dissolved, and the members united with Mr. Gardner's church. Rev. William Ba scorn, the successor of Mr. Gardner, was installed in 1815, and was succeeded by Rev. Abel Conant, in 1824. Rev. Phillips Payson was ordained pastor of the 2d church in 1825; he was succeeded by Rev. Ochus G. Hubbard, in 1833.

This is a pleasant town, and contains much excellent land. The north and western parts are hilly, the land rising in long regular swells: the eastern part, through which Nashua river passes, has extensive plains and tracts of interval.

The above is a south eastern view of the central part of Leominster village, which consists of upwards of 30 dwelling houses, in the immediate vicinity of the two churches represented in the engraving. This place is 20 miles from Worcester, 7 from Lancaster, 5 from Fitchburg, and 41 from Boston. There are 5 churches, 2 Congregational, (1 of which is Unitarian.) 1 Baptist, and 1 Universalist. Population, 1,944. In 1837, there were 5 paper mills in this town, and 17 comb manufactories; value of combs, $80,800; males employed, 84; females, 47.


FROM:
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
Geographical Descriptions.
By John Warner Barber.
Worchester
Published by Warren Lazell.
1848

Counter