Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was formerly the north easterly part of Mendon. It was set off as a Separate parish in 1741, and was
commonly known by the name of Mill River. It was incorporated as a town in 1780. The church was formed here in
1741, of 26 male rnemhers: over which Rev. Amariah Frost was settled in 1743. Some time after the settlement of
Mr. Frost, a separation took place, and. a Mr. Hovey preached to the disaffected, and was ordained among them.
He remained with them, however, but a few years. Mr. Frost continued pastor of the first society till his death,
in 1792; he was succeeded by Rev. David Long, in 1801.
The following is a north eastern view of the central part of Milford, as seen from the road on the eastern side
of a branch of Charles river, a mill stream passing through the village. In the engraving, the Universalist church
is seen on the right; the spires of the Congregational church and town house are seen towards the central part.
An academy was established in this place in 1830. population, 1,637. Distance, 18 miles from Worcester, and 28
from Boston. In 1837, there were 128,000 pairs of boots manufactured; value, $212,200; males employed, 305: females.
37; there were 4,000 straw bonnets manufactured: value, 12,000: one cotton mill, 1,200 spindles; 80,000 yards of
cotton goods were manufactured; value, $5,000.
Though the surface of this town is not very hilly, the land rises in some places. especially towards the north.
From the highest elevations in this part of the town there is a wide and variegated prospect. This northern part
was a purchase from the Indians by the first proprietors of Meadon, and was called the “North Purchase.” There
are two rivers in this town: Charles river, which passes through the cast part, and Mill river, which passes through
the western. The last-mentioned river is the outlet of a large pond,of a mile in length, partly in Milford, hut
principally in Hopkinton and Upton, called North Pond. There are good meadows and interval lands upon the borders
of both of these rivers. The town is well watered wiih springs. rivulets and brooks in all parts. Agriculture is
the principal business of the inhabitants. The town produces annually for market, considerable quantities of butter,
cheese, pork, beef, &c., perhaps equal to any in the country.
Gen. Alexander Scammel was a native of this town. He graduated at Harvard University, 1769, and was appointed a
surveyor of timber in Massachusetts and province of Maine, under the British government. In 1775, he was a brigade-major
in the American army; in 1777, a colonel at the taking of Gen. Burgoyne, and adjutant general of the army at Yorktown,
where he was unfortunately wounded in reconnoitering, Sept. 30, 1781, just before the surrender of Cornwallis,
of which wound he soon after died.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.