Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
MILLBURY, formerly a part of Sutton, was incorporated as a town in 1813. It was incorporated as a parish in
1742, and called the second parish in Sutton. The first meeting-house was built in 1743, but the church was not
embodied till 1747 Rev. James Wellman, the first pastor, was ordained in 1747; Rev. Ebenezer Chaplin, his successor,
was ordained in 1764. Rev. Joseph Goffe, the next pastor, was ordained in 1794. Rev. Osgood Herrick succeeded Mr.
Goffe in 1830. The next pastor, Rev. Nathaniel Beach, was settled in 1837. The Rev. George Campbell was installed
the first pastor of the Second church, in 1830; he was succeeded, in 1834, by Rev. William A. Learned. Rev. Samuel
G. Buckingham, the next pastor, was ordained in 1837.
In the town are several flourishing villages. The one seen in the engraving is called the Armory Village, in which
is the post office; Millbury Bank, with a capital of $100,000; and the Second Congregational meeting house. Burbank
Village is situated about one mile south westerly, in which is a number of factories, and the First Congregational
meeting house, having a large basement story occupied as a town hall. About two miles farther west, is another
village, in which is a post-office, called the West Millbury post office. At the northern erremity of this village
is a meetinghouse, which is occupied by the Baptist and the Third Congregational Societies. There is also a society
of Methodists in this town, who hold their meetings in a large hall in Armory Village.
Millbury is pleasantly situated, and extensively engaged in manufacturing. The township is generally hifly, though
of good. soil. I: is watered by the Blackstone river, and the Blackstone canal passes through Armory village, in
which is a number of locks, A branch of the Boston and Worcester railroad was constructed to this plaee in 1838,
giving the inhabitants the advantages of a direct and constant communication with Boston. Population, 2,153. Distance,
6 miles from Worcester, and 42 from Boston. In 1837, there were 6 woollen mills; 18 sets of machinery; 166,000
yards of cloth were manufactured; value, $348,00O; males employed 148; females, 128; one cotton mill; 1,848 cotton
spindles; 350,000 yards of cotton goods were manufactured; value, $25,000; males employed, 20; females, 20. One
musket manufactory; 2,500 muskets manufactured: value, $25,000; hands employed, 30; one scythe manufactory; 14,400
scythes manufactured; value, $9,600; there were 9,800 pairs of boots and 80,500 pairs of shoes manufactured; value,
$93,175; males employed, 150; females, 63; one paper mill; value of paper, $15,000.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.