Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was chiefly taken from Uxbridge, and derived its name from its situation and bearing relative to that
town. It was incorporated a distinct town in 1772. The first church was organized in 1782, and the next year Rev.
John Crane, D. D., was ordained their pastor; his successor was Rev. Samuel H. Fletcher, who was settled in 1832;
Rev. Charles Furbush, the next pastor, was settled in 1834. Rev. Michael. Burditt was installed pastor over the
second village church in 1835.
The surface of this town is somewhat rocky and rough, but the soil in general is rich, strong, and good. It is
finely watered by springs, streams, and rivers. Of these Blackstone and Mumford rivers are the largest. On these
rivers are tracts of good interval land. Blackstone canal passes through this town, on the west bank of Biackstone
river. There are 4 churches, 2 Congregational, 1 Methodist, and 1 for Friends. Population, 1,409. Distance, 12
miles from Worcester and 35 from Boston. In 1837, there were 4 cotton mills; cotton spindles, 9.000; cotton goods
manufactured, 1,450.000 yards: value, $136,750: males employed, 90; females, 107; one woollen mill, 3 sets of machinery;
100,000 yards of satinet were manufactured; value, $70,000; males employed, 40; females, 20. There were 600 pairs
of boots and 53,500 pairs of shoes manufactured; value, $50,000; males employed, 75; females, 20; value of cotton
machinery manufactured, $25,000.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.