Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was formerly a part of Rutland, and after the incorporation of that town was called Rutland West Wing,”
until 1762, when it was incorporated a town by the name of Oakham. The church in this place was embodied in 1767,
in the Presbyterian form, and the next year Rev. John Strickland was ordained pastor. He was dismissed in 1773,
and the church was dissolved. Shortly after, in the same year, a church on the Congregational plan was organized,
but had no settled pastor till 1786, when Rev. Daniel Tomlinson was ordained. Rev. Asa Hixon, jr. was settled colleague
pastor in 1829. Rev. James Kimball, the next minister, was installed in 1832. The general surface of this town
is hilly and stony. The soil is better adapted to grazing than ploughing. Five Mile river, a branch of the Chicopee,
is a stream of conside.rable size, and. Ware river runs across the north angle of the town. Population, 1,109.
Distance, 16 miles from Worcester, and 56 from Boston. In 1837, there was 1 satinet mill; 20,000 palm leaf hats
and 1,300 straw bonnets were manufactured, valued at $7,486.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.