Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THE principal part of this town originally belonged to Rutland and Leicester, the line between which towns formerly
passed a little north of where Paxton meeting house now stands. It was incorporated as a district by an act of
the general court, by the name of Paxton, in 1763. The first settlements were made within its limits a few years
after the settlement of Rutland and Leicester, which was about 1720. It is certain that before 1745 there were
several families in the place, and some considerable improvements made
Among the early settlers were Josiah Livermore and his brother, Jason Livermore, and Abijah Bernie, from Weston.
Near them were also William Thomson and one or two of his sons. The settlement of the town was never interrupted
by Indian depredations, or by any other calamity, but gradually progressed till all the land was taken up. It is
believed that this town was never constituted such by any direct legislative act; it, however, assumed full town
privileges some time in the year 1776, when Mr. Abraham Smith was sent representative to the general court.
At the first meeting after the organization of the district, holden on the first of April, 1765, a vote passed
to build a rneeting.house. which was accordingly erected the same year. Rev. Silas Biglow was ordained their first
pastor. October 21, 1767. He continued but little more than two years in the office, being removed by death, Nov.
16, 1769, and was succeeded the next year by Rev. Alexander Thayer. The next minister was Rev. John Foster, who
was ordained in 1785; his successor was Rev. Daniel Grosvenor, who was installed in 1794. The next pastor, Rev.
Gains Conant, was ordained in 1808, and was succeeded in 1832 by Rev. Moses Winch. Mr. Winch was succeeded by Rev.
James D. Farnsworth, in 1835.
The above is a southern view of the Congregational church in the central part of Paxton. This town is hilly, consisting
of large swells of land, which on their summits are so levelled as to appear like plains, the acclivity in many
instances being so slight and gradual as hardly to he perceived for a considerable extent on their tops. The two
highest hills in the town are Turkey Hill and Asnebumskit Hill. From the top of the last-mentioned hill, in a clear
day, the prospect is very extensive and delightful. Population, 619. Distance, 7 miles from Worcester, and 47 from
Boston. In 1837, there were manufactured in this town 24,200 pairs of boots; value, $48,430; males employed, 53,
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.