Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS township was partly taken from Rutland, and partly made up of some lands in the neighborhood which belonged
to the state. It was incorporated in 1771, and named Princeton, in honor of Rev. Thomas Prince, pastor of the Old
South church in Boston, and a large proprietor of this tract of land.
At the time of its incorporation there were about 20 families in the place. The inhabitants erected a meeting house
in 1762, and in 1764 the church was embodied; and alter a number of unsuccessful attempts to settle a minister,
Rev. Timothy Fuller was ordained, in 1767. He was dismissed in 1776, and the church was destitute of a pastor till
1786, when Rev. Thomas Crafts was ordained. Inconsequence of ill health, he was dismissed in 1791. Rev. Joseph
Russell, the next pastor, was ordained 1796, ana was succeeded by Rev. James Murdock, D. D.. in 1802. Rev. Samuel
Clarke succeeded Dr. Murdock in 1817. Rev. Aloazo Phillips was ordained the pastor of the second church in 1820,
and was sacceeded by Rev. Elijah Demond. in 1836.
The above is a south west view of the Congregational church and some other buildings in the central part of Princeton,
which is very elevated and commands an extensive prospect. The spire of the ancient church is seen rising in the
The surface of this town is hilly, but has a good soil. It is watered by numerous springs and rivulets, and a branch
of the Nashua river, which begins at the foot of Wachusett Hill. There are several places in the town where springs
issue and the waters divide, running some into Merrimac, some into Connecticut river. Wachusett Mountain lies in
the north west part of the township, and is the highest land in the state east of the Green Mountain range. It
is a little more than 3,000 feet above the level of the sea, and rises, without any very steep ascent, about 1,900
feet higher than the surrounding country. The sides of the mountain are generally covered with wood, which gradually
dwindles in size towards the top, till it becomes mere shrubbery, and on the summit vegetation almost entirely
ceases. Wachusett gives to the spectator upon its summit a view of the country from 30 to 50 miles on every side.
The principal rivers and ponds of the county, and many of the towns and villages, are presented very distinctly.
to the naked eye. This place is much frequented in the summer months. Part of Wachusett Pond lies in this town,
and part in Westminster, the dividing line passing through it. In the south-west part of the town is Quinepoxet
Pond, some part of which falls within the limits of Holden. There are 4 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Presbyterian,
1 Universalist, and 1 Baptist. Population, 1,267. Distance, 15 miles from Worcester, and 45 from Boston. In 1837
there were 50,000 pairs of shoes manufactured; value, $20,000; there were 75,000 palm leaf hats manufactured; value,
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.