Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was taken from the ancient town of Marlborough. and derived its name from the circumstance of its
lying about south from that town. It was incorporated by the general court in 1727. The first church was embodied
here in 1730, and the Rev. Nathan Stone ordained the first pastor. He remained with the people till his death,
in 1781, after which the church was destitute of a settled minister till 1791, when Rev. Samuel Sumner was ordained.
The next pastor, Rev. Jeroboam Parker, was ordained in 1799, and was succeeded by Rev. John D. Sweet. Rev. Walter
Follet was ordained pastor of the second church in 1832. This church was organized in 1831. There is a Baptist
church in the town. Population, 1,113. Distance, 15 miles from Worcester, and 30 from Boston. The surface of this
town is moderately uneven, and the soil productive. It is watered by a number of small streams and brooks. In 1837,
there was a small woollen mill in the town; there were manufactured 170 pairs of boots and 39,312 pairs of shoes;
value, $31,560; males employed, 80; females, 75. There were 5,500 straw bonnets mawifactured; value, $9,000.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.