Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
SOUTHBRIDGE was originally a part of Sturbridge, Chariton, and Dudley. It was incorporated as a town in 1814.
The first church was organized here in 1801, and Rev. Jason Park was ordained the first pastor in 1816. He was
succeeded by Rev. Henry J. Lamb, who was ordained in 1833. His successor, Rev. Eber Carpenter, was installed in
1835. There are 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist.
The above is a south eastern view in this flourishing village, which consists of about 40 or 50 dwelling houses,
besides other buildings. The Baptist church is seen on the right; the Southbridge Bank, Hotel, &c., on the
left. The township is watered by the Quinnebaug, which passes centrally through the town. Population, 1,740. Distance,
20 miles from Worcester, and 60 from Boston. In 1837 there were 3 cotton mills, 6,844 spindles; 1,139,160 yards
of cotton goods were manufactured; value, $95,900; males employed, 83; females, 89; one woollen mill, 4 sets of
machinery; 50,000 yards of cloth were manufactured; value, $150,000; males employed, 75; females, 50; boots manufactured,
590 pairs; shoes, 15.475; value, $15,712; males employed, 17; females, 14.
In 1801 the inhabitants of the south eastern section of Sturbridge, (now Southbridge,) ninety in number: were,
upon their petition, incorporated into a Poll Parish. These 90 persons, with their families, formed rather a distinct
community for many years, and the place of their residence was generally known by the name of Honest Town.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.