Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THE whole of this town was included in the original grant of Leicester. It was made a parish in the year 1744,
by the name of the West Parish of Leicester, and was incorporated a town in 1753, by the name of Spencer. The church
was organized here in 1744, and Rev. Joshua Eaton was ordained their pastor the same year. He continued with the
people till his death, in 1772, and was succeeded, the next year, by Rev. Joseph Pope. The next ministel was Rev.
Stephen Crosby, who was settled in 1819. Mr. Crosby was succeeded by Rev. Levi Packard, in 1826.
The above engraving shows the appearance of the central part of Spencer, as it is entered from the westward, upon
the road to Brookfieid. The Congregational church is seen on the right, on the elevated ground in the distance.
The Universalist church is the building with a tower, standing in the compact part of the village, which consists
of about 40 dwelling-houses.
This town is elevated, and is said to be 950 feet above the tide waters in Boston harbor. The surface is rough
and uneven, but the soil is very fertile. It is watered by many streams, which run through the different parts;
but none of them are of much size. Seven Mile river is the largest. There are 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist,
and 1 Universalist. Population, 2,085. Distance, 11 miles from Worcester, and 51 from Boston. In 1837 there were
2 woollen mills, 4 sets of machinery; 34,000 yards of cloth were manufactured; value of woollen goods, $87,000;
males employed, 31; females, 23; there were 52,091 pairs of boots and 2,940 pairs of shoes manufactured; value,
$106,496; males employed, 162; females, 28; four wire-drawing mills; 19 tons of wire manufactured; value, $10,480;
ten hands employed; there were 2 powder mills; 162,500 lbs. of powder were manufactured; value, $14,500; there
were 29,600 palm leaf hats manufactured; value, $7,000.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.