Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was originally purchased by a number of persons of John Wampus, a sachem, and his company of Indians,
who claimed it, and was confirmed to the purchasers by the general court in 1704. It was formed into a township
and called Sutton by an act of the legislature in 1715. The settling of the town was retarded for some time by
reason of the wars with the Indians.
In the year 1716, three families were seated in the place, and spent the succeeding winter there, which was that
of the great snow. This snow fell on some of the last days of February, (0. S.) and came so deep that it wholly
covered over the hut in which one of the families lived. The man being from home, the family would probably have
suffered much, had not an Indian. who knew the circumstances, come to their relief. He found the cottage only by
the hole which the smoke from the fireplace had made through the snow. In September, 1717 the first child was born
in the town, named Abigail Marsh, daughter of Mr. Benjamin Marsh.
The above is a western view of the Congregational church in Sutton, which is situated on an elevated hill, commanding
an extensive prospect in various directions. At present there are but few houses in the immediate vicinity of the
This is a pleasant town, and extensively engaged in manufacturing. It is watered by the Blackstone river, and the
Blackstone canal passes on the northern border. The township is generally hilly, though of good soil. It contains
soap-stone, and excellent granite for building. In the town are 2 Congregational meetinghouses, 2 Baptist, and
1 Episcopal. Population, 2,457. Distance, 10 miles from Worcester, and 44 from Boston. Wilkinsonville, a small
manufacturing village, containing an Episcopal church, is on Blackstone river, on the northern border of the town.
In 1837 there were in the limits of the town 4 cotton mills, 7,356 spindles; 1,301,727 yards of cotton goods were
manufactured; value, $125,572; males employed, 94; females, 100; 2 woollen mills, 4 sets of machinery; 82,000 yards
of cloth were manufactured; value, $110,000; males employed, 40; females, 24. There were 2,000 dozen of shuttles
manufactured; value, $10,000; hands employed, 12. Boots manufactured, 9,314 pairs; shoes, 51,968 pairs; value,
$55,656; males employed, 103; females, 99. Spindles manufactured, 30,000; value, $5,000. Value of scythes manufactured,
The first church in Sutton was organized in the fall of 1720, and Rev. John McKinstry ordained their pastor. He
was a native of Scotland, and was there edu cated. He was dismissed in 1728, and was succeeded the next year by
Rev. David Hall, D. D., who, after a life of usefulness, died 1789. He was succeeded by Rev. Ed. mund Mills, in
1790. The next pastor, Rev. John Maltby, was ordained in 1826. His successor, Rev. Hiram Tracy, was ordained in
1835. The second parish in Sutton was incorporated by the legislature in 1713. Rev. James Wilman was their first
pastor, ordained in 1747. The first Baptist society in the town was formed in 1785, and Rev. Benjamin Marsh was
ordained their elder. Of the Baptist society in the south. east part of the town, Elder Wm. Bachelder was the first
pastor, ordained in 1792.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.