Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was an original grant to certain persons who did service in King Philipís war, or to their heirs,
and was known by the name of Narragansett No. 6 until its incorporation, in 1762, when the name of Templeton was
given to it. The first meeting of the proprietors of this tract was held at Concord, in 1733.
Its settlement was greatly retarded through danger from the Indians, hut after the close of the French wars inhabitants
moved in and the settlement rapidly improved. The first church was gathered here in 1755, and Rev. Daniel Pond
was ordained pastor. He was dismissed in 1759, and succeeded by Rev. Ebenezer Sparhawk in 1761. The next minister,
Rev. Charles Wellington, was ordained in 1807. Rev. Lemuel P. Bates was installed pastor of the second church in
1833. He was succeeded by Rev. Lewis Sabin in 1837.
This is a pleasant town, of uneven surface, hut contains much good land. It is watered by branches of Millerís
and Chicopee rivers, and has many excellent mill-sites. The engraving above is a north view in the village of Templeton,
which consists of 2 churches and about 30 dwelling houses. The Unitarian church is seen on the right, the Orthodox
on the left. Distance, 24 miles from Worcester, 30 from Greenfield, 10 from Royalston, 8 from Athol, and 58 from
Boston. Population, 1,690. In 1837 there was 1 woollen mill, 2 sets of machinery; 30,000 yards of cloth were manufactured;
value, $30,000, males employed, 15; females, 15. There were 8,530 pairs of boots and 9,280 pairs of shoes manufactured;
value, $22,327; palm leaf hats manufactured, 117,304; value, $22,108. There were 9 manufactories for chairs and
cabinet ware; value, $12,586; hands employed, 22. There was 1 manufactory for tin ware, 1 for shovels, spades,
forks or hoes, and 1 air and cupola furnace. Eleven saw mills; lumber sawed, 1,986,000 feet; value, $16,040.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.