Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town is not an original grant, but was taken from Mendon, Sutton, and Hopkinton. It was incorporated by
the general court in 1735. The first church was formed in this town soon after its incorporation, and Rev. Thomas
Weld ordained their pastor. He remained a few years with the people, when he was dismissed, and succeeded by Rev.
Elisha Fish, (from Stonington, Conn.,) ordained in 1751. He died in 1795. The next and the present pastor, Rev.
Benjamin Wood, was ordained in 1796. The societ.y of Baptists originated about 1750, and the next year Rev. Abraham
Bloss was ordained their teaching elder. This town presents a varied surface, changing from smooth to rough, and
from hilly to more level ground. The soil is generally good, and is pretty well watered. A small stream, known
by the name of West river, passes through the west part of the town, and flows into the Blackstone in the lower
part of Uxbridge. The village consists of about 50 dwelling houses, and a Congregational church, which is represented
in the engraving. Population, 1,451. Distance, 14 miles S. E. of Worcester, and 35 from Boston. In 1837 there was
1 woollen mill; 2 sets of machinery; 31,200 yards of cloth were manufactured; value, $15,600; boots manufactured,
3,500 pairs; shoes, 117,699 pairs; value, $107,796.84; males employed, 156; females, 81; there were 14,000 straw
bonnets manufactured; value, $35,110.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.